> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Litigation > I'm being sued for HOA dues.

I'm being sued for HOA dues.

2 Answers. Asked on Jul 14th, 2013 on Litigation - California
More details to this question:
I walked away from my house in 2008. I was served papers 2 weeks ago. I'm being sued for 4500. I believe the house was foreclosed in 2009. If I do owe dues, should my dues have stopped once the property was foreclosed.
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Jul 21st, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Yes, you only owe the dues for while you still owned the place. However, you also can be liable for late payment charges, interest, and attorneys fees and expenses to collect the debt. If the HOA has not added those, yet, that total might be higher than what they have asked for.

Pay the dues as soon as you can.

Dana Sack



Report Abuse
Mitchell R. Sussman at Mitchell Reed Sussman & Associates
Licenced in CA
Answered on Jul 15th, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Once you are no longer the owner, by either foreclosure or sale,

your liability for dues ends.   What this means is that you can

only be charged for dues that accrue while you were on title to the property.


More information  can be obtained by contacting me through

my website


Mitchell Reed Sussman

Attorney at Law

Report Abuse
Sometimes the only way to resolve a dispute with another party is through civil litigation. But litigation can be intimidating, particularly if you're on the receiving end of a lawsuit. If you've been named as the defendant in a lawsuit, hire a litigation attorney as quickly as possible. You have a limited period of time to respond after being served with the summons, complaint and notice of the lawsuit. A litigator can read the legal paperwork, review the necessary evidence, talk to witnesses and then develop a strategy to respond to the lawsuit. Often an out-of-court settlement is the ideal response for both the plaintiff and the defendant--but it may take the threat of litigation to bring both parties to the table to negotiate a mutually agreeable resolution. If a settlement can't be reached, your litigation lawyers can represent you during the trial and vigorously advocate on your behalf.
Have an Litigation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Attorney - New York

369 Answers, 1 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

155 Answers, 41 Legal Topics

Richard Samuel Price

Attorney - California

120 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

108 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

95 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Cindy S. Vova

Attorney - Florida

89 Answers, 5 Legal Topics

Litigation Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Luvera Law Firm

Seattle, WA

| Contact Now

Miller Tack & Madson

Apalachicola, FL

| Contact Now

Amaro Law Firm

Houston, TX

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums