> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Civil Litigation > I wanted to get information on Intentional Infliction of Distress.

I wanted to get information on Intentional Infliction of Distress.

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 29th, 2011 on Civil Litigation - Texas
More details to this question:
I have tried for the past 18 months to get over what happened to me but have had no luck. What happened was a pre-planned act to use and hurt was all intentional and so emotionally devastating that I suffer daily. At the end, he threatened me and threatened to kidnap my child, leaving me in a state a fear, always looking over my shoulder. I''ve contacted many sources about the abuse I suffered and read many books in an effort to help myself. I do not feel that I should of been subjected to this. Of course it is a long a complicated story but wanted to know if I could win a case for Intentional Infliction of Distress.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Nov 26th, 2011 at 12:49 PM

(IIED), is a tort action in Texas, as a plaintiff, you must prove the following elements of the cause of action:  1) the defendant acted intentionally or recklessly; 2) the defendant's conduct was extreme and outrageous; 3) the actions of the defendant caused the plaintiff emotional distress; and 4) the emotional distress suffered by the plaintiff was severe.  I recommend that you contact an attorney and discuss the details of your case with him or her in order to see if you have a case.  Also, an attorney can evaluate other causes of action and not just IIED.  Hope this helps.

Report Abuse
Civil Litigation
Disagreements happen, and if the parties to a dispute cannot reach a mutually agreeable solution, then they may have to turn to the courts for help resolving their disagreement. Civil litigation can be used to resolve all sorts of conflicts, from personal injury cases to contract disputes, from disagreements between neighbors to contested wills. But don't head to court on your own. Whether you're an individual or a small business, defendant or plaintiff, you need the advice and guidance of a litigator who has experience with all aspects of civil litigation. Your attorney can prepare and file the lawsuit while continuing to try to negotiate an out-of-court settlement. And if the disagreement can't be resolved amicably, your lawyer can work with you to develop a strategy, represent you in court and advocate on your behalf during the civil trial.
Have an Civil Litigation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

329 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

66 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums